IN the dead of gray winter, the bright colors of the tropics look even more tempting to Brits stuck at home.
But plan ahead now and you can break away from the cold months with travel to sunnier climates for less than the usual price for long-haul vacations.
If you click on a link in this story, we will earn affiliate income.
Swap chunky coats and scarves for flip flops and a bikini on Antigua Island, with beaches bigger, better, and more varied than any other Caribbean island.
Blow away the winter cobwebs on a week-long trip to vibrant Barbados, or dance and drink with the locals in sensational Cuba.
Also welcoming visitors this winter, the Indian Ocean islands, Mauritius, the Maldives and the Seychelles, are a sight to behold.
If you were dreaming of paradise, now is the time to book, with good deals from £ 899 pp for 7 nights.
With tour operators competing for your personalized post-Covid, you can visit dreamy desert island destinations without a huge budget this winter.
Here are some of the best deals we found for the Caribbean and Indian Ocean:
Barbados, filled with rum and entertainment, is ideal for traveling families and friends in particular.
The island offers lazy days and busy nights, plenty of easy-to-organize activities, and a party atmosphere.
Beyond the countless white sand beaches, spend your nights liming, dancing and drinking with the locals – at the famous Friday Night Fried Fish in Oistins Village or Harbor Lights in Bridgetown.
- TUI has 7 nights at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, Barbados in November from £ 687 per passenger
- Virgin Holidays offers 7 nights at the Barbados Beach Club all inclusive in November from £ 1065 pp
- BA Holidays offers 7 nights at Turtle Beach Club, all inclusive in Barbados from £ 1429 pp
Jamaica’s relaxed attitude and local rhythms are contagious, making it a great island to chill out.
But the land of “All Right” is also the “land of wood and water” with lush mountains, cool waterfalls and tropical waterways on which to raft.
- TUI offers 7 all-inclusive nights at the Riu Montego Bay Hotel in November from £ 768 pp
- BA Holidays offers 7 all-inclusive nights at Holiday Inn Montego Bay from £ 945 per person
Britons in search of paradise after a long year of confinement will certainly find it in Antigua.
Pink sand, platinum sand, even black sand if you’re willing to look hard enough: the twin island nation of Antigua and Barbuda has shorelines carved by one heavenly beach after another.
Favorites include Half Moon Bay, Darkwood Beach, and Rendezvous Bay, where you can enjoy fine, creamy sand and opalescent water as nature intended.
- BA Holidays offers 7 nights all inclusive at Hawksbill by Rex Hotels from £ 971 per passenger
Although it has beaches on par with the best in the region, Havana, the capital of Cuba, is a travel destination in itself. Its streets frozen in time and its old quarter listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, its classic cars and salsa, cocktails and Cuban cigars make it a unique travel experience.
Brits can combine a beach vacation in nearby Varadero with a city tour and enjoy the best of both worlds.
- TUI offers 7 all-inclusive nights at the Playa Vista Azul hotel in December from £ 699 per person
- Virgin Holidays is offering 7 all-inclusive nights at Paradisus Varadero in January from £ 969 pp
Jet direct into the lush island of St. Lucia for a warm winter vacation you won’t regret.
By the time January arrives, you will congratulate yourself for making such a wise decision.
Saint Lucia is famous for its natural attractions which include its World Heritage-listed twin volcanic peaks – the Pitons – and a drive-through volcano with bubbling sulfur cauldrons.
Its geological wonders and interior covered in tropical forests make it one of the most picturesque islands in the Caribbean, where you can follow nature trails in the forest or soar over the canopy on high cables.
- Virgin Holidays offers 7 nights at the Bay Gardens Inn in January from £ 559 per person
- BA Holidays is offering 7 all-inclusive nights at Starfish St Lucia in December from £ 846 pp
A favorite Caribbean island of connoisseurs, verdant Grenada has managed to slip under the radar.
It’s perfect for travelers seeking nature with rainforests, waterfalls, long, wide sandy beaches, and thriving offshore reefs offering world-class diving and an underwater sculpture park.
- TUI offers 7 all-inclusive nights at the Royalton Grenada Hotel in December from £ 1,199 per person
- Virgin Holidays has 7 nights at Blue Horizons Garden Resort in November from £ 945 per person
Escape the British winter for an exotic beach in the Indian Ocean.
The Maldives is most people’s vision of paradise, and Brits yearning for blue skies and a dazzling ocean this winter can find decent deals for its spectacular stand-alone beach hotels, many of which are all-inclusive.
- TUI offers 7 all-inclusive nights at Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives Hotel in December from £ 1599 per person
- BA Holidays offers 7 nights at Reethi Faru Beach Resort from £ 1286 pp
Sensational beaches and turquoise water are the norm in Seychelles.
The archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean is famous for its tropical beaches, offshore reefs and luxurious resorts, although it is much more affordable than most people realize.
- BA Holidays offers 7 nights at the Indian Ocean Lodge hotel from £ 1166pp
Located in the southern Indian Ocean, beautiful Mauritius is surrounded by over 160 kilometers of white sand beaches and blue lagoons, and bathed in tropical sunshine.
Inland, the hilly landscape is covered in tropical forests, with tall waterfalls and mountain peaks that provide a stunning backdrop for a beach vacation at one of its excellent resorts.
- BA Holidays offers 7 nights at the Friday Attitude Hotel in November from £ 899 per person
- TUI offers 7 all-inclusive nights at Ambre Resort and Spa Hotel from £ 1336 pp
This article and the products shown were independently selected by Sun reporters. It has links that are advertisements, and if you click on a link and buy a product, we will earn income.