MARTIN DE RUYTER / STUFF
Driver patience will have to be a virtue after a slide on SH6 between the Owen River and Kawatiri bridges blocked the northbound lane. (File photo)
A major slip on State Highway 6 north of Murchison will cause delays of about half an hour for weekend holiday traffic.
Waka Kotahi NZTA said a slide on a narrow section of the highway between the Owen River Bridge and the Kawatiri Bridge blocked the northbound lane on Wednesday evening.
On Thursday afternoon, the agency said traffic management at the slip site – either stop / start signs or traffic lights – would be in place over the long weekend and next week so that the slip can be erased. There would also be a speed limit of 30 km / h.
Drivers had to anticipate the delay at each end for up to 30 minutes.
On Friday morning, motorists could be asked to stop by traffic crews for 15 to 20 minutes so workers can remove loose rocks from the slip surface.
A police spokesperson said he was told of a major landslide on the Kawaitiri-Murchison highway at 3:53 a.m. on Thursday. Police left the scene at 6:11 a.m.
Tips for driving safely
- Drive according to conditions, whether it’s the weather, time of day or amount of traffic.
- Take regular breaks to stay alert. Share the ride if you can.
- Keep a safe distance from vehicles in front of you so that you can stop safely.
- Be patient – overtaking is unlikely to make a significant difference to your travel time due to the amount of traffic expected over the weekend.
- Check that your car is safe, guaranteed, that the wipers / lights are working and that you have a spare tire inflated before setting off.
- It’s spring so the weather is notoriously changeable. Be prepared for hot and cold.
Real-time information for drivers