BREAKING: ICC to investigate student kidnapping in Nigeria

Karim A. Khan, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) seeks authorization to investigate the kidnapping of students in Nigeria.

The investigation will cover kidnappings in northern Nigeria, school closings and the continued failure of federal and state authorities to end the kidnapping.

The development was announced on Sunday by the Socio-Economic Rights and Responsibility Project (SERAP).

In a petition in September, SERAP urged Khan to press for those suspected of being responsible and complicit in the crimes to be brought to justice.

The rights group said that the serious and permanent harm resulting from the denial of the right to an education of children meets the threshold of seriousness of harm under the Rome Statute.

In a letter of October 22 with Ref. No. OTP-CR-363/21, Khan told SERAP that the criteria for an investigation into a series of kidnappings were met.

The letter signed on behalf of the prosecutor by Mark P. Dillon, head of the Information and Evidence Unit, noted that the preliminary examination of the motion is considered completed.

According to article 53 of the Rome Statute, the next step in the judicial process “is to prepare and submit a request to the Pre-Trial Chamber for authorization to open an investigation into Nigeria.

“Once submitted, the request will be made public on the Court’s website: www.icccpi.int.

“Your communication will be forwarded to the relevant team for analysis, along with other related communications and other information available, as part of any future investigation. “

In a statement, SERAP praised the ICC prosecutor for taking an important step in ensuring that those responsible for atrocities against schoolchildren are exposed.

The body said that impartial justice and reparations would deal a major blow to the impunity of perpetrators and improve access to education for Nigerian children.

“The victims of these crimes deserve justice. SERAP will work closely with the ICC to achieve these important goals, ”said Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare.

Last week, 27 students and 3 teachers kidnapped from the Federal Government College, Birnin Yauri in Kebbi, were released.

The former hostages were held captive for four months; others are still ongoing as negotiations for their release continue.

Governor Atiku Bagudu told the victims to consider their kidnapping as a trial from God.

“Even the prophets of Allah, who are the best and the most faithful, have been tested and tried.

“One thing is for sure: if you are tested and tried and become patient, the sky is your limit and only Allah knows your reward,” Bagudu said.

About Laurence Johnson

Check Also

Former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre leaves race to become new chairman of media regulator Ofcom

Former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre has stepped down from the race to become the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *