Within a week, two buildings on the same street were destroyed by fire in Owerri, the capital of Imo state.
The incidents occurred at numbers 1 and 9, rue Eke-Ada on Saturday and Sunday respectively.
A DAILY POST correspondent, who visited the scene at No.9 on Sunday, learned that the fire was started by an electrical surge shortly after power was restored.
It was also found that valuable properties worth millions of naira were destroyed in another blaze that completely razed the first floor of Building No.1 on the same street during the incident between 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Responding to the DAILY POST question on Sunday shortly after the emergency operation, Deputy Fire Superintendent, ASF 1, Federal Fire Service, Owerri, Okafor Okorie, said the agency received distress calls and activated his response plan.
He said: “When they arrived, federal firefighters discovered a one-story building engulfed in flames but quickly responded.”
Okorie said the fire at Eke-Ada’s No.1, believed to have been triggered by an electrical surge, affected only one apartment on the first floor.
He said the fire department’s emergency response team arrived within five minutes and prevented the blaze from spreading to other apartments.
Okorie explained that the fire crew’s swift response effectively prevented the blaze from spreading to other surrounding properties. He added that fortunately no loss of life and no injuries were recorded.
DAILY POST concluded that the occupants of said apartment had lost all of their belongings because they had all attended church for Sunday service before the fire started.
When DAILY POST visited the other building at No.1 Eke-Ada Street, the owner, a retiree, reportedly collapsed and was still receiving medical treatment at an undisclosed hospital while other occupants were still crying.
Fire destroys another INEC office in Enugu state